North Korea has fired two suspected short-range missiles, South Korea’s military said, in what is the second such launch in the last five days.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the weapons flew 420 kilometres and 270 kilometres, respectively.
It said it is working with the United States to determine more details, such as the type of weapon that was fired.
South Korea’s military said earlier that at least one projectile was launched from the Sino-ri area of North Pyongan province, an area known to have one of North Korea’s oldest missile bases where a brigade operates mid-range Rodong missiles.
It later said the launch was from the nearby town of Kusong, where North Korea conducted its first successful flight test of its Hwasong-12 intermediate range missile in May 2017.
North Korea and the United States are currently deadlocked in diplomacy meant to rid the North of its nuclear arsenal.
The launch came hours after the North through its state media described its earlier firing of rocket artillery and an apparent short-range ballistic missile on Saturday as a regular and defensive military exercise, and ridiculed South Korea for criticising the launches.
South Korea responded to Saturday’s action by the North by calling for an end to acts that escalate military tension.
Saturday’s launch of a short-range missile from another east coast area was the North’s first test of a ballistic missile since it launched an intercontinental ballistic missile in November 2017.
At that time, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un declared its nuclear force was complete and extended an olive branch to the South and the United States, holding two summit meetings with US President Donald Trump and three with the South Korean leader.