600g lean beef mince (makes 24)1 tbsp soy sauce1 clove garlic, crushed1 tsp finely grated ginger¼ cup panko crumbs270g soba noodles
¼ cup sweet soy2 tbsp soy sauce¼ cup mirin1 tsp sesame oil
½ cup rice wine vinegar4 sprigs rosemary4 pink radish, washed and sliced1 Lebanese cucumber, roughly chopped on the diagonal1 bok choy, quartered lengthways1 long red chilli, slit in half lengthways but kept whole at the stem
Explore more content
- Place beef mince, soy, garlic, ginger and panko crumbs in a large bowl and mix until combined. Roll into 24 meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each. Soak bamboo skewers in water for 10 minutes, drain and closely thread 3 meatballs onto each skewer.
- Place chopped vegetables in a large heatproof bowl. Place rice vinegar, a pinch of salt flakes and 2 sprigs rosemary in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, turn off heat and pour vinegar over vegetables, turn to coat and cover with a lid. Leave to pickle for 5-10 minutes for crunchy pickles. Drain before serving.
- Combine glaze ingredients in a bowl and use remaining 2 rosemary sprigs for brushing glaze onto meatballs after cooking.
- Drizzle meatballs with a little oil or spray with oil spray and then place on a preheated BBQ on medium to high heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes then turn over and cook for another 5 minutes. Brush meatballs with glaze using the rosemary skewers while on the BBQ, and brush with extra glaze to serve.
- Cook soba noodles according to packet directions, drain. Serve skewers with pickled vegetables and soba noodles.
- When turning meatballs on the BBQ, use a palette knife or metal spatula to help you turn them as they have a tendency to stick, and the bamboo skewers get hot.
- Meatballs can be made ahead and frozen. Bake from frozen at 180C fan forced for 15-20 minutes. Glaze in final 5 minutes.
- Try with lamb or veal mince.